The web, which is a graphical service on the Internet, contains many visual and textual content. Web servers, on the other hand, are application software that deliver information and experience such as text, graphics, sound, video, animation, prepared for the user or the audience, to everyone in the world. These servers differ according to the operating system on which they are installed.
What is a Web Server?
So what is a web server and what does it do? The servers where you host your websites are managed by various software. Unlike the operating system, these software are important for server management. Web servers, which are responsible for publishing your site on the internet network, respond to the requests of the clients and deliver your content to the users over various protocols. This set of rules is called the HTTP protocol .
HTTP protocol is a way that shows how to transfer your web content to the user over the internet. In this case, web servers control how your site visitors access data by making HTTP requests. In short, servers responsible for publishing a web page on internet networks offer a structured web site to users through various software.
One of the most important functions of web servers is to provide services to site users living in different parts of the world at the same time. These servers process files prepared with many software languages such as PHP, Python and Java and convert them into static HTML files. By delivering HTML files to web users’ browsers, it ensures that the communication between the server and the client works properly.
How Does a Web Server Work?
“What is a web server?” We can briefly answer the question as a type of software that fulfills HTTP requests. Web servers work with hardware support as they are systems developed by various methods. It controls how site users access different types of content and provides visitors with a structured web page. These servers are managed remotely via a command system.
Web server systems include PHP, C, ASP, Perl, .Net and many similar application languages. These codes enable the software to work in line with the requests coming from the server. In addition, it provides the opportunity to develop special systems for your site by helping you to work on web server security, and provides the opportunity to prepare interactive content.
For example, when you visit a website, the content you read or watch is transferred to you through a database, while recording your IP address, many interactions such as the number and duration of page views are configured through server software. You can browse the sites of the servers for the web server setup pictorial explanation, and perform the installation processes by following the instructions given.
What Are Popular Web Servers?
Web server programs, which have many types with the features they offer, allow you to publish your sites on the internet in terms of both security and performance. Popular among these server types are Apache, Nginx, Litespeed and Tomcat. The vast majority of websites are managed by these servers. Especially Apache and Nginx are among the best web server types.
In addition to these software, there is also an ASP web server service written specifically for ASP developers. This server, which allows you to configure the directory for your web pages, also offers cookie support. Another software available among web servers is Windows Server 2012. Developed by Microsoft, Windows Server 2012 web server installation and management is very simple.
What Is Apache, How Does It Work?
So what is Apache web server? Apache web server, which is a free software, is open source. It was developed by the Apache Software Foundation (ASF). It has an infrastructure consisting of many modules such as password authorization, security, URL writing and cache . Apache has a customizable structure that allows you to add or remove these modules according to your needs .
One of the most popular web servers, the software acts as a bridge between the site and the users. Apache web server is a cross-platform software that is easy to install and use. Working with a thread-based infrastructure, the server system is easily configurable. The software, which you can use on WordPress sites, also performs very well in terms of security.
What is Nginx, How Does It Work?
Originally developed by Igor Sysoev as a fast mail client, Nginx was later updated as a web server. Being open source, the software performs well for high-traffic sites with its ability to work simultaneously. Nginx, which runs on most servers with Linux operating system, is also ideal for centos web server installation.
Nginx, which is constantly updated by the software company, works with an event-driven architecture. In other words, Threads are managed under a single Worker Process umbrella. At this point, Worker connections send client-requested requests to the Worker Process. It redirects these connections to the Master Process and presents the results to the user. It is especially preferred for linux web server installation.
What Is Tomcat, How Does It Work?
Made available by the Apache Software Foundation, Tomcat is open source Java Server Page and Servlet Container software. The web server, which has many additional features, includes various libraries such as Apache, Java and MySQL. Having an ideal infrastructure for web applications, Tomcat’s web server installation and management is very easy.
Tomcat is a free software that provides HTTP web server environment while developing web application. The server variant, which has an efficient infrastructure for serving static web pages, runs many Java documents, including Java EL and WebSocket, as it preloads Java libraries. The web server preferred by many developers is one of the most available Servlet Containers.
What is LiteSpeed and How Does It Work?
We talked about Apache, Nginx and Tomcat software. So what is LiteSpeed web server? LiteSpeed, which is among the popular web server services, is used by many developers with its fast and secure infrastructure . Ideal for sites with high traffic and resource consumption in general. Thanks to LiteSpeed web server, which is a customizable software, your page opening speed increases.
Before installing this server type, it is important to choose the version that is suitable for your computer. You can also install LiteSpeed web server via cPanel. The software, which works by replacing the old pages in the cache with the updated pages, uses much less system resources compared to other servers . The system, which is a bit costly in terms of web server prices, is the most powerful acceleration solution.
What are the Differences Between Apache Web Server and Nginx?
- Apache and Nginx are different from each other as web servers that cover most of the web traffic. Apache is an HTTP server. Nginx is a reverse proxy server. The way they both handle client requests is different.
- Since Apache’s developer community is made up of many people, security patch updates are plentiful but not sufficient. Although Nginix has few developers, it is more secure as security updates are made by the software developer.
- Nginx solves the c10k problem by working with multiple clients at the same time . Since Apache uses a Thread-based infrastructure, it can create performance problems, especially on sites with a lot of web traffic.
- Apache starts a new process for each request sent by the client. Nginx, on the other hand, works by managing each requested request in a single thread, as it has a state-based system.
- Nginx is especially suitable for sites with high web traffic as it handles all requests using minimal resources. Apache, on the other hand, is ideal for small and medium-sized sites with its easy installation feature and modules.
- Apache, a flexible server type , has more than 60 official modules. It also offers the ability to customize links via .htaccess. Nginx software does not have as many modules as Apache and does not support .htaccess file.
- Nginx web server is better for static content than Apache. With its infrastructure, it responds to customer requests faster than Apache software. Nginx performs slightly better in terms of dynamic content.
- In terms of resource usage , Nginx consumes less RAM and CPU than Apache. Therefore, Apache does not scale well with concurrent connection and may reject connections by rejecting requests that consume too many resources.
- Apache is an open source server developed for Microsoft Windows, Netware and similar operating systems. Nginx, on the other hand, is mostly preferred in Linux-based operating systems as it takes up less space .
- Although Apache with virtual hosting function serves different web pages at the same time, Nginx is an event-driven server so it has better memory performance in terms of load testing.